Difficulties connecting to database

May 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Hi Chris, first off thanks for sharing this with the community.

Is there a way to enable logging, or is there logging somewhere by default so that I can see what the problem is? No matter what I try, I can't get past the "connect" button.

I've tried hostname, i've tried hostname.domain.com and for database name i've tried sqlexpress, mdt2010 and sqlexpress\mdt2010. I even tried hostname\sqlexpress as the server name, but all of them return server hostname not found.

I opened it in SQL Management studio and looked at Security>Users. the only non-disabled account is DOMAIN\Domain Admins, and that properties page shows Domain Admins as having db_datareader privileges only.

I'm not sure where the error is coming from, so some logging would be beneficial to figuring out what exactly is causing it.

Thanks!
-M
May 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Same issue here! I cannot find any combination of login credentials that will work. I would love to give this application a shot!
May 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM
I am having the same issue. Cannot get past connect. Says cannot find the database with all combinations used.
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Edited Jun 4, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply! I thought I would get email notifications when someone posted here! Apparently I had forgotten to turn notifications for discussions on.

The first time you run MDT Administrator and click connect it should prompt you firstly for the name of the server where the MDT Database resides.
Example: MDTServer.domain.com

Secondly you are prompted for Database. Unless you are using instances in SQL it should be fine just entering the name of the database.
Example: MDT01

Now the application will try to connect using your Windows Credentials, that is, the user you are currently logged in with in the computer.

DocJelly wrote: "I opened it in SQL Management studio and looked at Security>Users. The only non-disabled account is DOMAIN\Domain Admins, and that properties page shows Domain Admins as having db_datareader privileges only. " This is most definately a problem.

Here's what all of you need to do if you don't know you already have done it:
Option 1: Add your domain user account and give it datareader and datawriter permissions on MDTDB.
Option 2: Add a domain group that you are a member of and give that group datareader and datawriter permissions on MDTDB.
Option 3: Add a new SQL user and give that user datareader and datawriter permissions on MDTDB. Then specify in Settings.ini that you want to use SQL Authentication instead of default windows authentication. You will then be prompted for an sql username and password on connect. This method is usually not recommended as the sql username and password that you are prompted for are stored in the registry unencrypted.

If you don't know how to do those things, have your SQL guy (everyone has one right? :) do these tasks for you.

If all else fails, I could try to help you through a teamviewer quicksession. Contact me through email and we can try to set something up.
Jun 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Hi Chris, I had my SQL guy help me out :)

we ended up adding SysAdmin to the Domain Admins group so in effect I was dbowner on both databases on this server (MDT2010 and SUSDB)

we ARE using an instance, in this case it's SQLEXPRESS.

so is my servername host.domain.com or should be it servername\SQLEXPRESS? or should I put SQLEXPRESS\MDT2010 as the db name on the second input box?

-M
Coordinator
Jun 5, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Edited Jun 5, 2013 at 8:19 AM
When specifying server you should put "servername\SQLEXPRESS"
When specifying database, just put "MDT2010".
No quotationmarks offcourse ;)

Give it a try and let me know if it works out for you!
Jun 5, 2013 at 7:42 PM
OK I was pretty sure I tried that combination yesterday, but just to be thorough, I tried it again now and it failed with the same error as before. Then I tried localhost\SQLEXPRESS and it failed as well, so I thought maybe the database wasn't set up for remote access.

I opened up SQL Configuration Manager and looked at the SQL Server Network Configuration node and then "Protocols for SQLEXPRESS" and sure enough, TCP/IP was disabled. I right-clicked it, chose enable and then restarted the service.

I then went back to MDTAdmin and tried again with SERVER\SQLEXPRESS and MDT2010 and it worked!

SO I think by default that when you install SQL Express for MDT, it uses that DBNMPNTW Network Library to connect to it from within Deployment Workbench, so TCP/IP is not enabled by default.

Thanks for the great tool and the help, Chris!

-M
Jun 5, 2013 at 10:52 PM
TCP/IP is it!! Thanks DocJelly for the answer!
Coordinator
Jun 7, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Edited Jun 7, 2013 at 7:22 AM
This is awesome DocJelly. I'm not an SQL Expert in any way so this is news to me. I am very grateful for the feedback though!
I verified your information that SQL Express doesn't have TCP/IP Protocol enabled by default. This is now documented under Documentation tab.
Thank you! Hope you like the tool, and don't hesitate to give more feedback and/or suggest changes and features you would like.

Yes Joe, DocJelly saves the day! :)

/C
Jun 7, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Yeah it's pretty awesome, I could see that in just a few seconds after getting the connection going. :)

One thing that would be great in a future version is different sort options for the computer list. right now I think it's ordered by the record number? Being able to sort it by description or serial number or asset number would be nice, too... maybe even OSDComputerName. Maybe a datagrid? I'm not sure if you can do that in HTA though :)

Thanks Chris, hope you have a great weekend
-M
Coordinator
Jun 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Right now it populates the list by description and sorts the computer list alphabetically by description.
I'm open to suggestions. How would you see a benefit from sorting by serial number?
Unless you mean populate the list with serial numbers instead of descriptions, then I can see it.

Tell me how your best possible configuration would be and I'll try to accommodate you!
Please also explain why a certain configuration would benefit you. It's good for me to hear how many people use MDT so I don't get too narrow minded
on how I personally need it to work.

Thanks for all your feedback! It's very useful to me :)
Jun 8, 2013 at 12:55 AM
My bad, it IS sorted by Description... when I scrolled through the other day, some of them looked out of order so I thought they must be ordered by record/row number. :)

I just listed off the fields that you can enter when adding a new computer through the MDT Deployment Workbench (Description, serial, uuid, asset number) as options. I can't think of a use case for sorting by serial number, other than to check for duplicates. :)

Has anyone tried using it on Server 2012 yet? does the lack of code signing cert cause any issues? I've seen our internal apps come up with the blue bar across the whole screen (in Windows 8) and you have to click "more actions" to get to the "run anyway" button. I don't know if that applies to MDT Admin, but thought I'd throw it out there in case it comes up for anyone in the future.

Have a great weekend, Chris, you've certainly earned it! :D

-M
Coordinator
Jun 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM
DocJelly wrote:
I can't think of a use case for sorting by serial number, other than to check for duplicates. :)
I see. I actually run a different fork of MDT Admin in my organization that I customized to exactly how we want to use it, and in that i use duplicate-checking on all computer identification fields. So when you edit a serial number, asset tag, mac-address, description etc. it checks if the value already exists on another computer object and aborts the procedure and tells the user that there already is a computer with that e.g. serial number.

I did not incorporate it into the public fork of MDT Admin because I didn't want to force people to now allow duplicates. Some might want to allow it.
However, now since you're talking about it, I could implement it as an option. Actually, I just now got a nice idea for next release. Maybe to have a new fieldset with checkboxes for certain options that you can enable/disable "on-the-fly" when running the app, (e.g. an option checkbox allowing duplicate serial numbers or not) thus removing the need to fiddle with settings.ini... Whats your take on that? Good / Bad / Have another idea? ;)
Has anyone tried using it on Server 2012 yet? does the lack of code signing cert cause any issues? I've seen our internal apps come up with the blue bar across the whole screen (in Windows 8) and you have to click "more actions" to get to the "run anyway" button. I don't know if that applies to MDT Admin, but thought I'd throw it out there in case it comes up for anyone in the future.
I have not seen this myself. I don't think I ever actually tried executing the application on the server itself. It just resides there on a share and I execute it on my workstation. Maybe it won't be an issue since this is more or less a HTML page with vbscript code in it, even though it's compiled into en executable.
Have a great weekend, Chris, you've certainly earned it! :D

-M
Thank you! You too!
/C